The objects that surround us are a combination of simple three-dimensional primitives – a combination of parallelepipeds is a table, a torus is a car tire, etc. These materials, figures, are used to construct the model.
3D visualization is the process of presenting information using three-dimensional graphics technology. The technology of 3D graphics is based on mathematics, which describes objects in the form of coordinates, properties, etc.
The process of obtaining images based on 3D models is called rendering. In other words, what the user sees in the picture obtained as a result of 3D visualization is roughly speaking a “window” through which he looks at the space described by a huge number of coordinates and properties of objects.
Not always a photorealistic image is the work of the photographer. Today there is a way to create colorful pictures without a camera!
Using programs such as 3ds Max, AutoCAD, Cinema 4D, V-Ray, ArchiCAD and the like, a 3D artist can recreate objects, products, interiors, and entire landscapes that seem vibrant and attractive.
But these programs, of course, themselves cannot create 3D spaces, because a program and a computer are just a means, a tool by which the professional can obtain a result.
New graphical opportunities that architects and designers have gained enable them to work effectively with the customer, making the creative idea more visible, simplifying the perception of complex compositions, combinations and elements.
One of the first modifications to programs that allow to edit three-dimensional graphics, is 3Ds Max. The product has been used successfully from the 90s of the twentieth century to the present. The application contains a lot of useful tools for successful modeling in 3D.
A variety of plugins and additions to the package simplify the solution of the most complex tasks. This professional package was introduced by Autodesk. It is designed for three-dimensional graphics, modeling and animation.
With its help, professionals also create flat images – digital raster images from one 3D scene. In the basic version, the visual subsystem is included in the software, using which designers achieve realistic layout.
To get a render level higher, other software, more powerful software is used. They can be installed optionally.
What is 3Ds Max? As already mentioned, this is a fully functional professional software system for creating and editing three-dimensional graphics and animation, developed by Autodesk. It contains the most advanced tools for artists and multimedia professionals.
The versatility of the editor opens up wide possibilities and does not limit the scope of its use.
- Autodesk 3Ds Max is a comprehensive solution for 3D modeling, animation, rendering and compositing, designed to realize the creative potential of game developers, architectural designers, visual effects and graphics, as well as other specialists in this field.
- Powerful 3D modeling capabilities – With the help of tools for polygonal modeling and texture mapping, you can quickly and efficiently create characters, objects and surroundings.
- Advanced character animation tools – Built-in Character Animation Toolkit (CAT) is an advanced snap-in and animation system.
- Accelerated rendering – Quickly creates stylized and highly realistic images thanks to the unlimited possibilities of batch rendering mental ray and Quicksilver using an interactive graphics processor with support for NVIDIA iray technology.
- Enhanced support for workflow components – Support for C ++ and .NET allows for the adaptation and extension of 3Ds Max, as well as integration with other workflows.
- Interaction with Adobe solutions – Experts in the field of animation and graphics, using Adobe After Effects or Adobe Photoshop, will be able to experience all the benefits of interaction, setting new standards for the exchange of 2D/3D data.
- Using this utility, three-dimensional elements are implemented in stages, made by both inexperienced and confident users.
- Friendly, intuitive interface. The working panel includes a minimal set of buttons. Management is possible using the mouse cursor or graphic tablet.
- Libraries contain materials and basic models. They consist of simple and advanced designs. It is possible to replenish the catalog with your personal templates.
- Toolkit for working out actions based on splines.
- Convenient command manipulation for Bezier surfaces and polygon modeling.
- Editing complex mesh faces located at different levels.
- Many modifiers whose parameters are configured for geometry.
- Built-in visualizer and optional, installed separately.
- Animation tools improve with each subsequent release.
3Ds Max has extensive tools for creating a variety of forms and complexity of three-dimensional computer models, real or fantastic objects of the world, using a variety of techniques and mechanisms, including the following:
polygon modeling, which includes the Editable mesh (editable surface) and Editable poly (editable polygon) is the most common modeling method used to create complex models and low-poly models for games.
As a rule, modeling of complex objects with subsequent conversion to Editable poly begins with the construction of a parametric object “Box”, and therefore the modeling method is commonly called “Box modeling”;
modeling based on heterogeneous rational B-splines (NURBS) (it should be noted that NURBS-modeling in 3ds Max is so primitive that nobody practically uses this method);
modeling based on the so-called “Mesh pieces” or Bézier surfaces (Editable patch) – suitable for modeling bodies of revolution;
modeling using built-in libraries of standard parametric objects (primitives) and modifiers.
Simulation methods can be combined with each other.
Modeling based on standard objects, as a rule, is the main modeling method and serves as a starting point for creating objects of complex structure, which is associated with the use of primitives in combination with each other as elementary parts of composite objects.
Visualization is the final stage of work on a simulated scene. Only after visualization all the properties of the materials of the objects become visible and the effects of the external environment applied as part of the scene appear.
To display the final image on the screen, the necessary visualization module is selected. Most visualization modules are standalone programs built in as an add-on to 3Ds Max.